IS YOUR GUT IRRITABLE? IT'S UP TO YOU TO CONTROL IT.
Irritable bowel syndrome is manifested either in diarrhea or loose stools, constipation or alternating diarrhea and constipation. Gas, bloating and abdominal pain are also often present.
People with the condition have visceral hypersensitivity, that is, they would feel more than others the intestinal movements that occur for example after the meal or at the time of stress. This is why interventions to reduce stress and dietary changes remain the most effective solutions.
Here are some recommendations:
- It is very important to chew well.
- Eating in a quiet place.
- Avoid frozen foods, which can cause cramps.
- Avoid habits or foods that bring gases (drinking with a straw, eating fast, chewing gum, soft drinks and carbonated water).
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
- Add oat bran to applesauce or soy pudding to add more soluble fibre.